Tuesday, April 30, 2019

NG+ News and MGQ Remaster

Just a Valkyrie. Nothing unusual here.

Seven months without a post. I know that's an outrageously long amount of time, and I can only apologize for that.

The reason I haven't posted in so long is because I didn't want to make a new post that didn't have an update released. I realize now that that was an incredibly stupid thing to do, but it wouldn't be the first stupid decision I've made with NG+, so bear with me here.

As for what's going on with NG+ right now, the Colosseum update's been in a state of "basically done" for awhile now, but I keep pushing it back to either add new content or polish up what's already there. As it stands now, it's probably the single biggest update I've made for NG+ up to this point, so hopefully that gets you a little excited for what's coming. Personally, I don't think anything I release at this point will justify waiting so long for it, but hopefully you'll have fun with it regardless. I'm hoping to have it ready fairly soon, but I don't want to jinx it, so I'll just say it's still "in progress". As always, test builds are posted on the Discord server, if you want to see what's being worked on and tested at the moment and don't want to wait.

But there is something else you can play in the meantime.

A few months ago, I was throwing around a few ideas on the Discord server about the possibility of releasing an "HD" upscaled version of the original Monster Girl Quest. It's an idea that's been rattling around in my head for years, and I even made a mockup of the NG+ title screen in 1080p once to see how it could theoretically work. At first, I assumed that such a thing would be impossible, or at the very least, far more trouble than it's actually worth. Not only would you have to upscale over 5000 individual images, but everything in the game is hardcoded for an 800x600 resolution, so you would have to change that, too. It didn't seem feasible, at first. But the more I sat down and thought about how it could be done, the more I realized that it wasn't nearly as difficult as I first thought.

Then, a couple of people in the Discord server (including Sore Eyes, the creator of the Fan Demo), ended up actually making it into a real thing. There is now a "remastered" version of MGQ that you can play in either 960x720 or 1440x1080. Every image has been upscaled with waifu2x, the game now runs in Onscripter, and many, many bugs and typos from the original game have been fixed (there were a ton). You can download and play that by using the links in here.

https://pastebin.com/7Q1QRZ27

In addition to fixes, there are two new features available in the remaster from the Special Config menu.

- Ability to skip story H-scenes in addition to fight H-scenes.
- Optional spirit turn counters and resummons like NG+

And a few more new features on top of that.

All credit goes to Sore Eyes and lugia19. All I did was prove it could be done.

That's all for now. Colosseum Soon™.

26 comments:

  1. So... any chance of getting a remaster compatible version of NG+?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering how much work you're putting into NG+, as long as everything is coming alone fine I'm happy.

    HD remaster of the original Monster Girl Quest sounds good, but the sheer size of the file is kind of intimidating.

    How much of a difference does the HD make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. More MGQ means more good in the world!

    And as long as you're still working on NG+ I'll wait for it.

    I've waited years between announcements on updates for things I care about less than NG+ so you're stuck with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Valkyrie is acceptable now

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we can get some good ol' "no-genocidal-campaign-in-mind" Valky goodness up in here for NG+ then i'm all for it during a non-Granberia run, same goes for Cupi too I suppose. :P (Though somehow I doubt it and as such i'll just have to watch the h-scenes elsewhere or, if it's already unlocked in NG+, watch it from the Monsterpedia entries instead, ah well. heh heh :3 )

    And as I said countless times over already... I REALLY don't mind waiting, it's a real shame a few others just don't seem to have patience for art, and this kind isn't the type that Valve does with their infamous "Valve time" either.

    As long as you release quality versions of NG+ then that's all I can ask for, especially for future GranberiaXLuka goodness for those, like me, that ship that pairing well beyond the canon LukaXAlice pairing, seriously...! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just happy you're alive. :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ecstasy, I've recently replayed NG+ and I remember back in the days where you were on the MGQ discord server, you once said in one of the chats some sort of command that enabled "cheat mode" or whatever it's called.
    If possible, what's the name of it again, and how do I do to enable it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't play the remastered version on the onscripter plus for android.anu idea ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey man, I see your ability to draw eyes got better, though from this picture it looks like you're not quite there yet, the problem with this one is her eyelashes, they're too thick and round and basically look like two pieces of plastic slapped onto here eyes, here's a quick edit I made: https://imgur.com/a/pMIU4nh

    ReplyDelete
  10. discord server link please ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's literally on the right side of your screen.

      Delete
  11. SAY WHAAAAAAAAAT!? You are alive, and of top of that, you give us a remastered version of the original trilogy? BOI, we can wait(or at least i can) I WANT TO SEE SYLPH JOKES IN FULL HD, THANKS! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... not you technically, but you brought this to us here... thanks for the ones that made it, and thanks to you for bring it here!

      Delete
  12. Please do not die before finishing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eagerly awaiting as always, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been waiting for 7 years now. I can't believe my daughter wasn't even born by the time I learned about this project.

    Still waiting and still counting months :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my number 1 favorite game, since 2014, even to this day. And what you did here is more than creating a mere fan fiction to it, but relive it in another way. I feel you put a lot of thoughts and works to match the original characters. So I love your works, and I don't mind waiting time to time, years to years. If anything, I'm happy your works is still on going and become even better :'3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, I finally have a cc, I'll start donating with small ones for now.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete