Sunday, June 17, 2018

Update on the update

Sketch for a new CG

Just making a quick post to explain what's going on.

The next update's coming along fairly smoothly and should be ready in 2-3 weeks. I'll try to have it ready by the end of the month, but it's not a 100% guarantee. It'll have Chrome's Mansion, along with a new party member, a lot of bug fixes, some performance improvements and new h-scenes.

That's all for now.

46 comments:

  1. Also, as I'm going through Succubus Village again (to add Chrome in), I'm realizing how broken it really is. The code's terrible, it's riddled with bugs, and the writing's slightly incoherent as a result.

    I'm working on fixing that, as well. So the problems with that area should be cleared up in the next patch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear about your progress and looking forward to when it comes out, will Chrome also be added to all the areas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she will be added to all the previous part 3 areas. That's what I'm working on right now.

      Delete
    2. Nice. Also, this is a question for when the part 3 is fully released, is there going to be a limit to how large your party can get? For example if you already have a Heavenly Knight alongside Ipeia and Nibi would you have to leave someone behind to recruit Chrome?

      Delete
    3. Yes. You can only have 2 additional helpers. In any case, in a fan-made patch has been added as partner Sara and to have her make had Nibi to get rid of :(
      PS. I would love to them without a limit :)

      Delete
    4. Seriously? Why would there be a limit?
      The knights I get because they are written exclusively and take part in combat but why the others?

      Delete
    5. Well, Ipei also involved in the battle(against the Beelzebub) is likely to Chrome will also fight, that's the answer. Sadly but the limit will not disappear. But if it goes away, it'll be wonderful.

      Delete
    6. Well, even though the limit is a dumb idea in the first place I would already be happy if it was increased to 4. I mean, considering how many there are now and how that number will probably double by the end of the game. Also,
      1. Whats that about a fan-made patch? Where can I find that?
      2. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to simply disable the trigger that forces you to remove a helper?

      Delete
    7. There are practical reasons as well as lore reasons for a rather tight limit on companions.

      Practical. Having 6 companions for example would turn every eventful scene into a bitch to write. Most companions need some kind of reaction for it not to be immersion breaking, characters need to interact with each other a lot which means a shitload of extra text and code, their images need to appear a lot too. Then there is them contributing in fights (or not), and the paradox of them not helping in case of defeat, and maybe some of them are planned for later subplots and need to be in a specific location for that.

      Lore reasons. A big caravan of people including the monster lord and a heavenly knight would draw a lot of unwanted attention. It would be hard to keep track of everyone in hostile environments. Maybe some monsters can't stand each other or would even try to eat each other. With too many monsters, it would be likely for them to just prey on Luka daily as he has proven to have zero defense against a bigger group trapping him and the knights (as well as Alice) are of the opinion that the occasional rape is more of a greeting than anything.

      Delete
    8. Оn the previous post,the bottom comments

      Delete
    9. Those are good reasons actually.
      How about instead allowing us to take an additional helper if we go without a knight?
      Like filling the knight slot with another helper.

      Delete
    10. The reason for the party member limit is to put some limit on the amount of possible scenarios in the game. The more party members I let you have, the more combinations I have to take into account when writing the dialogue in each area.

      Having to account for one of four knights, no knight at all, and up to two party members is already a lot to account for. It already significantly slows down development as it is, so I don't want to make it any more complicated right now.

      There's also a design reason for it. If you could take every single knight and every single party member in the game, your party would be huge. The number of characters present in any given scene would be way too high, and scenes would devolve into complete chaos as a dozen different characters are fighting for screentime (Example: Idea Factory games before Neptunia). It would be a complete mess, so I decided to just leave it at one knight and two regular party members.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice also i typed in monster girl quest harem mod the result was your mod on the wiki page https://www.google.com.au/search?q=monster+girl+quest+harem+mod&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU777AU777&oq=monster+girl+quest+harem+mod&aqs=chrome..69i57.21194j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg my favourite girl from whole series! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. will quadruple giga ever be used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let Erubetie binded the enemy while Luka using Quadruple Giga is really something I want to see.

      Delete
    2. You can use against Koakuma, only wait she lose Gigamander and then use Quadruple Giga!

      Delete
    3. Felipe Castro, quadruple giga only available when Luka does not use angel powers

      Delete
    4. https://imgur.com/a/pNxTc3Q

      Delete
    5. Another one, with quadruple giga used.
      https://imgur.com/a/1mTDgaM

      Delete
    6. But after that, she'll hate you)

      Delete
    7. Felipe Castro, hmm.. can you give me your version of the mod?

      Delete
    8. this feature appears only if you install a fan mod, in addition to the usual

      Delete
    9. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/386042047083184130/462120890251870227/Monster_Girl_Quest_NG_Part_3_Fan_Demo_TEST_BUILD_6-29-18.zip

      Delete
    10. In this version the camp scenes with Granberia are bagged. Better take the one that is located in a previous post, the bottom review

      Delete
    11. Is there a way to make the old font patch work with the Fan Demo?

      Delete
  7. Update on the update on the update.

    I'm still finishing up the last h-scene and adding a few more things. It'll probably be a few more days. Keep in mind, this one fight has 5 h-scenes. And they're fairly long ones, too. I clearly planned WAY too many h-scenes for Chrome (She has several more that didn't make it into the fight), but I don't want to scale things back now that I've gotten this far into it. So Chrome has a fight with 5 h-scenes now. Four are finished, one's left.

    I just don't want to release something that's unfinished and unpolished (I've had enough problems with that in the past). I'll try to have it out as soon as possible. I'll probably just put a build with what's finished up on the Discord server, if you want to play it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, your waifu party member will have this many h-scenes eventually. I'm mostly just burning through Paradox CG with this one (praise Un_Do).

      Delete
    2. Great. Really looking forward to New Game+'s iteration of the Haunted house. Just out of curiosity, how many potential party members is there going to be? Are they all going to be merely "low" level monsters like Nibi and Ipeia or will we eventually be able to recruit the "boss" monsters as well like say for example the Harpy Queen?

      Delete
    3. There won't be very many. The reason for that is because I'm trying to have every party member integrated smoothly into the story (giving them their own subplots, having them change events slightly, etc). It's like what the knights do now. The problem is, that takes a lot of work to implement, so I could only manage about half a dozen potential party members at most. For now, at least.

      I know that's probably disappointing for some people. But I want the party members to be actual characters. I don't want to just give each one 50 lines of flavor text and call it a day.

      The new ones will be higher level than Ipeia and Nibi, though. And a couple secret party members are planned, as well.

      Delete
    4. That's fine actually, in fact I prefer it that way. I heard an offhand complaint about Paradox was that with the new RPG style gameplay, many recruitable monsters are ultimately reduced to Pokémon "gotta catch/bang em all" style captures. It's understandable why, given the sheer number of recruitable monsters and, as you said, it would be a nightmare to program them all to have individual story arcs.

      I think having more personalised party members ties much better into visual novel style story telling so you have my support. Quality over Quantity and all that.

      Incidentally, are you counting the Four Spirits as part of the party since they have their own H-scenes and affection scores as well?

      Delete
    5. The spirits are technically "party members", but they aren't optional. They do have their own camp scenes and routes.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the next patch coming together smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
  10. fallen angel dance:gale when?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just want to relieve some suspense and confirm that there is another update planned for the fan demo. This time I'm actually waiting for Chrome's Mansion first to make sure that everything is up to date before I release it. It shouldn't take long after that. It should be an exciting one (especially if you haven't spoiled yourself with a leaked test build).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't wanna be that guy but, I also really feel like I need to ask this: Doesn't Tamamo's version of the Great Monster Wars fall a little of the realm of possibility on the whole Micaela part considering the new info from Paradox (at least from what I've searched that's what I've found). Also when is update coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NG+ only follows the original VN. I don't know what happens in Paradox, and I'm not using it as a reference. It's probably best to just think of them as separate universes.

      As for the update, I'm just adding a few last-minute things to it. I always tend to underestimate how much work I have left to do before posting an update. That's my own fault, obviously. But it is almost done.

      An early version of the update is up on the Discord server, if you want to play that first.

      Delete
    2. Figured, and that's why I said "I really don't wanna be that guy". It's just feels very weird to have Tamamo calling Lucifina "kind" when it was revealed she used to be cruel even for Illias' standards (mixed "Lucifina" with "Micaela" in the previous comment). Still a very nice mod.

      Also a small question exactly what changes are there gonna be in the new update?

      Delete