Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Saving between patches


Ilias sprite with a better face
  
So with the frequent patches and updates in the last week, a lot of people have been having issues with saves getting screwed up between patches. The issue has to do with how nscript actually handles saves. It saves the exact line in the game's script that you're on (it treats 0.txt to 13.txt as one script). So if you save on line 3694 and you reload the game, you'll reload on line 3694, no matter what that line actually is. So when there are a lot of different patches getting released, the script keeps getting shuffled around slightly. This is what's ultimately causing the saves to break between patches.

I did find a solution to this. If I have small "save areas" located at the top of the script, you can save in those areas and your saves will work between patches. As long as the top of the script doesn't change between patches, your saves will be fine. Originally, I just had save areas between each part. I tested them, and they work just fine. But what I can do is add a few more of these scattered throughout each part, so you'll be able to save in part 3 without worrying about patches breaking them and making you start over. 

To put it more simply, I can make save locations that will still work between patches. The question is, where do you want these saves to be? I can put them at the end of each area, and I can also make it so saving on the world map is safe. Would that be a good solution? I can't directly change how saving works in nscript, but this could work as a workaround.

If you have any other ideas of where I can put save locations like this, let me know. Note that this only affects saves between patches. If you don't patch NG+ constantly, then you can save anywhere unless I outright disabled it (ex: battles, towns).

29 comments:

  1. I'd like to be able to save on the world map. Being able to do so is much better than having to go to a town and talk to someone just to save your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, also saving during the camp would be nice because I can only assume there will be different options in the future for conversations between your party.

      Delete
    2. Saving during camps will definitely be unstable between patches. That was the main reason why I disabled it. But right now, almost everything is unstable between patches, so it's kind of a moot point.

      Delete
  2. I think being able to save on the world map would be the best option. It's a nice neutral area where you can take stock of your progress. It doesn't really matter to me personally though since I'm not making saves of the part 3 Demo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think either saving on world map or have save locations before/after fights and before choices like the original game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing it like the original games would be possible. But it would also be a major pain to set up, because I'd have to make a separate method for each save location, then go back and manually add calls to the methods before each fight, choice, town, etc.

      Delete
  4. Here's a new build with the world map saving enabled. It seems to work just fine, but I'm waiting to see if any problems show up before I change the links in the sidebar.

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3fz8uigmyqkcld4/Monster%20Girl%20Quest%20NG+%20%20Part%203%20Demo%20Update%20%28v.%203-15-2018%29.zip full

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/c2b3cl1pv7hh2rw/Monster%20Girl%20Quest%20NG+%20%20Part%203%20Demo%20Patch%20%28v.%203-15-2018%29.zip script only

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy, you actually made Ilias's face look good
    Genuinely impressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, the Latest Full Release (3/11/2018) link on the main site does not do jack for me? That my fault?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That link's been acting up and I don't know why. If you copypaste it in your browser, it should work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. It worked. New it was somehow my fault xD. Tech and me do not get along well.

      Delete
    3. It wasn't anything you did. I kept trying to create the link in the editor, but it just wouldn't do anything for some reason.

      I updated the links with the 3/15 build, so it should be fixed now. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  7. What I love about your take on NG+ Ecstasy, is that you get to explore romantic options for the heavenly knights instead of being forced into Alice route. Only thing missing (in my case) is a Nanabi romance path. Also your story telling is excellent. So thanks for your hard work its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wait, does that mean that we can only save on those locations, or the save files made on those locations will be ok for future patches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still save anywhere, but now world map saves should work between patches from now on.

      Delete
  9. So I just tried Gold Port with Alma Elma as the heavenly knight and it decided to crash when selecting her as the party member after selecting that extra member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to get the game to crash on Gold Port with Alma. Can you explain in detail what happened?

      Delete
    2. Sorry I'll be more exact, so in the Beelzebub fight, when you have 3 party members, Alice, Alma Elma and Morrigan, my actions were:

      Summon All
      Attack
      Reach low health
      Use either Morrigan or Alma Elma's heal, the kiss
      Fight continues
      Decide to use Alma
      Crash

      Delete
    3. I found the problem and I'm uploading a patch now. Thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  10. One thing that i noted when i installed the last full release, and i started a new game from the beggining, is that when it comes to fighting, both ''underpowered foes'' like the harpies or the bee girl, or the bosses like the queen harpy, it just jumps the compat and tells me that i won it without doing nothing, the life bar of the enemies don't even move. Also the stats of luka on the menu (life and sp) is on 999999, but on the monsterpedia, when i recall the battle everything seems more normal. I don't really know if this is a bug or something intentionall, but at least i'd like to know if this is normal xD. Also sorry if this place is not the adecuate to place this reports, is the first time i comment something and i don't know where to post it, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I screwed up the release build again, like I usually do.

      I'm uploading a fixed version now. It should be ready in a few minutes. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  11. I've been wondering, but for all the areas in the Demo, are they just a sample of what the actual Part 3 would look like or are they already the complete package? Since so far Part 3 has been a Demo, your level, party, reputation, etc are all (to an extent) prescripted which mean's it isn't possible to view all the potential scenes that play out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are parts that you can't access through normal means. But the demo areas that have been released are mostly complete, yes.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok. Does that mean you plan to eventually release everything on the Part 3 Demo before configuring it back to the main game or is it only some areas are released on Demo and rest will be playable once Part 3 is finished?

      Delete
    3. The plan is to keep releasing small updates to it every few weeks, to keep content coming out at a more consistent rate. Once I've released everything that was planned for part 3, I'll integrate it with parts 1 and 2 so you can play it all as a whole.

      Delete
  12. A new patch has been released.

    - Turned debug mode off because I'm a moron that left it on. That's why fights were getting skipped.
    - Fixed the bug where Selecting Alma from your party in a battle would crash the game if you had less than 6 SP.

    ReplyDelete